33 MOVING TIPS
1. Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials.33 Move Tips
2. Pack the items you will need FIRST in a clear plastic bin.
3. Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing to save on bubble wrap.
4. For extra padding, pack your glasses and stemware in clean socks.
5. In addition to labeling what’s in your boxes, add what room they’ll be going into, as well.
6. If you can, show up to your new home before the move and pre-clean the bathroom and kitchen.
7. Place an extra cotton pad or ball into your powder cosmetics to keep them from breaking.
8. Cover the openings of your toiletries with saran wrap, then put the tops back on.
9. Pack plates vertically, like records. They’ll be less likely to break.
10. Keep drawers intact by covering them with Press’n Seal.
11. Press’n Seal is also great for keeping jewelry displays intact.
12. Buy a roll of stretch wrap.
14. Beer boxes are the best for books because they have handles on the sides.
15. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
16. Cut down on boxes by making all of your baskets, laundry bins, hampers, and suitcases work for you.
17. The fastest way to pack a closet:
18. Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothing.
19. Along with food and alcohol, give your friends who help you move first dibs on anything you originally planned to sell or donate.
20. Make sure everything is completely packed before your friends show up to help you move.
21. Enlist the color-coding system.
22. It doesn’t hurt to number your boxes.
23. If you have a lot of fragile valuables, hiring movers as opposed to asking friends can end up paying for itself.
24. If you do hire movers, be sure to read the fine print and find out if they have any weird rules.
25. If you’re renting, take photos of your cleaned-out old home and your new home before moving in.
26. Fill the nail holes in your previous home with a bar of soap.
27. If you’re doing a cross-country move and you don’t need your stuff immediately, consider shipping via Greyhound.
28. Change your address at least two weeks prior to moving.
29. If you own items that you want to get rid of but are too valuable to just give away, start selling on eBay, Etsy, or Craigslist at least six weeks before moving.
30. Arrange for a charity organization to come pick up the items you don’t want at least a week or two before moving.
31. Make your last grocery trip two weeks prior to moving.
32. For same-city moves, hire a sitter for the children and pets.
33. Remember to defrost your refrigerator at least a day before moving and wipe up any liquid.